Happy Hippie's Note:
I came across this wonderful gumbo recipe on Allrecipes.com. It was a big hit in my home. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This is a Taste of Home recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped with leaves
- 1 green pepper, medium, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 46 fluid ounces spicy vegetable juice
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes, diced undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb okra, sliced (frozen thawed)
- 1 lb catfish fillet, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 lb shrimp, uncooked medium, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in okra and catfish; cook 8 minutes longer.
- 5Add the shrimp; cook about 7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- 6Place rice in individual serving bowls.
- 7Top with gumbo.
- 8NOTE: I've used precooked shimp with great success. Add at the end of cooking time just long enough to heat through.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Seafood Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.8
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 401.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 14.9 g