Recipe by Happy Hippie
I came across this wonderful gumbo recipe on Allrecipes.com. It was a big hit in my home. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This is a Taste of Home recipe.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped with leaves
- 1 green pepper, medium, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 46 fluid ounces spicy vegetable juice
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, diced undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb okra, sliced (frozen thawed)
- 1 lb catfish fillet, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, uncooked medium, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra and catfish; cook 8 minutes longer.
- Add the shrimp; cook about 7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- Place rice in individual serving bowls.
- Top with gumbo.
- NOTE: I've used precooked shimp with great success. Add at the end of cooking time just long enough to heat through.