Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe by my mom!!! All her recipes are so delicious.
- 591.47 ml tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 59.16 ml butter
- 236.59 ml bread cubes
- 1 medium onion
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml Tabasco sauce
- 0.25 ml sweet basil
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slice bacon
- crushed saltine crackers, for topping
- Melt butter.
- Add bread cubes and brown lightly.
- Add more butter if needed and lightly brown onions.
- Fry bacon, drain, bacon and crumbled bacon into drippings.
- Mix all ingredients and spoon into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover with crushed crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Add cheese on top last 15 minutes.
So, SO good! I used fresh tomatoes, but homegrown tomatoes would be the ultimate for this recipe. I only used 2 slices of bacon, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Loved the bread topping! I'll be sure to make this again when I have fresh homegrown garden tomatoes. Thanx!
My mother used to make this all the time when I was growing up. She always had a garden with lots of fresh tomatoes. This is such a wonderful side-dish! So happy to have found it again!