1/1 Photo of Southern Scalloped Potatoes
Stella Mae's Note:
This delicious casserole hasn't been compromised by garlic and some other seasonings to detract from the traditional southern flavor, or gunked up with cheese to turn it into a gratin or doria. We enjoy this authentic southern dish year-round, so good in its creamy simplicity and subtle flavors. My family always expects it for Christmas dinner alongside the ham and cranberry chutney. Be your own judge regarding measurements. I learned from my grandmother and she never measured, so I've learned to guestimate on many of my recipes. NOTE: This dish can easily be frozen after baking, then thawed out and reheated. I do not recommend freezing without baking first, since potatoes will sometimes get mushy if frozen uncooked. I personally do not like a tin baking pan for this particular recipe, especially for freezing, since it can sometimes impart a "tinny" taste. Also, if this recipe is baked in a glass baking dish and then frozen, the glass will shatter if not at room temperature. So, if freezing in a glass baking dish, I recommend baking and freezing in Corning Ware since it will not break.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the potatoes until they're halfway done, then cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Slice three onions and sauté in butter until transparent.
- 4Sprinkle flour into this mixture and continue to sauté until flour begins to darken a little.
- 5Add milk and continue stirring until the sauce is at the consistency you like.
- 6It should be medium-thick.
- 7Add sliced potatoes to the pan and mix very well.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Pour into a greased baking dish and bake casserole at 350 degrees until it turns a bit brown.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 75.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g