Recipe by BeachGirl
Great with turkey, chicken and pork. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you - 8 of them are spices/herbs. If you are in a hurry, use a package of Pepperidge Farms cornbread stuffing in place of the cornbread. However, the homemade cornbread is worth the effort! Brown gravy ladled over each serving makes it Scrumptuous! My family requests this dish often, and there is never any left over! I always keep one of these casseroles in the freezer for unexpected house guests.
Top Review by Geema
Great recipe!This is almost exactly the same one I usually make for my traditional turkey dinners, except there are more spices, which I really enjoyed. I couldn't resist adding my usual chopped pecans to this recipe, and I also used all broth, no bouillon granules. We enjoyed this dish.
- 1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
HERBS FOR DRESSING
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 8 ounces herb seasoned stuffing mix (I use Pepperidge Farms)
- 3 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion (1 large onion)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules (or 3 chicken bouillon cubes & omit salt above)
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: This casserole freezes well, uncooked.
- If frozen, thaw before baking.
- CORNBREAD: Mix cornbread mix with egg substitute and skim milk.
- Pour into a 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch baking pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Cool and crumble into pieces and place in a LARGE bowl.
- DRESSING: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13-inch casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- To the bowl of cornbread, add all of the Herbs and stir to mix.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to moisten mixture.
- Dressing should be very moist.
- Add a little more water if needed to make mixture very soft.
- Pour dressing mixture into prepared casserole, cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake an additional 15-25 minutes or until top just starts to brown.