Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love Sausage gravy and biscuits! DH was not a big fan until I made this. True Southern Comfort food! Serve this wonderful Southern-style gravy over hot split and buttered buttermilk biscuits. Biscuits with gravy make a great breakfast with fresh or spiced fruit, Fresh sliced Tomatoes or serve along with a complete breakfast. This recipe is courtesy of Paula Deen.
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons lard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, option
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel.
- Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serve sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit with these, or serve as part of a bigger breakfast.
Thank you! It was so good, I am replacing my McCormick Package for this recipe.
A true southern delight! DH and I both grew up eating sausage gravy and this it. A friend told me awhile back to add just a pinch of sugar to the gravy and it worked like a charm. This was served as suggested with fresh from the garden sliced tomatoes and Recipe #6665.
This stuff is the best and I've used this recipe so many time since finding it! I use Jimmy Dean spicy sausage.