Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love Sausage gravy and biscuits! DH was not a big fan until I made this. True Southern Comfort food! Serve this wonderful Southern-style gravy over hot split and buttered buttermilk biscuits. Biscuits with gravy make a great breakfast with fresh or spiced fruit, Fresh sliced Tomatoes or serve along with a complete breakfast. This recipe is courtesy of Paula Deen.
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons lard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, option
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel.
- Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serve sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit with these, or serve as part of a bigger breakfast.
Thank you! It was so good, I am replacing my McCormick Package for this recipe.
A true southern delight! DH and I both grew up eating sausage gravy and this it. A friend told me awhile back to add just a pinch of sugar to the gravy and it worked like a charm. This was served as suggested with fresh from the garden sliced tomatoes and Honeymoon Sourdough Biscuits.
This stuff is the best and I've used this recipe so many time since finding it! I use Jimmy Dean spicy sausage.