Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful rice and gravy without making gravy. The starch in the rice binds with the bacon grease to make rice & gravy in one pot.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve grease)
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- Put all ingredients (except crumbled bacon)in a pot and bring to a hard boil.
- Reduce heat to medium so that the rice boils fairly fast.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes till the water cooks out enough that the rice just starts to stick.
- Add crumbled bacon and serve.
Yum! This rice is awesome! It didn't really seem to make any gravy but we certainly didn't miss it, it has so much flavor. I topped the rice with black eyed peas and served with fried pork chops. Thanks for another winning recipe 2bleu!
This is a very good rice dish. My boys liked it and especially because it had bacon in it. I didn't even look at the calorie count...you have got to splurge sometimes especially when 3 can eat a whole bowl. Thanks for a good recipe. Made for photo tag.