Long before Boston Market cornered the market on cornbread, the women in my family were making up a darn good corn bread themselves. Every BBQ or potluck this cornbread was in demand. I finally handed one of my aunties a measuring cup (you know they never measure anything) and learned how to make it. It really does resemble the taste of Boston Market, almost could be a dessert with that sweet taste of honey and some butter on top...
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with shortening.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix sugar, butter, eggs, milk, honey and water together in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl: cornmeal, flour,baking powder, and salt.
- While stirring, add dry ingredients to sugar, egg, and milk mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour into greased rectangular pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with butter.