Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a family recipe I am choosing to share w/all of you-plz enjoy throughout the chilly Winter months. At times I substitute precooked Hickory Smoked Bacon in place of Ham and serve w/what else? Potato rolls! ;) I've never actually measured any of this-I just do it! So, have fun w/it! it is diffrent EVERY time.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (I use Imperial)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) package 98% fat-free honey ham, diced
- 12 -14 russet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk, with vitamin D
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- In a large soup pot, on medium heat, melt margarine. Combine diced onion and ham; sautee for 5-7 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and just enough water cover. Add onion powder, onion salt, salt,pepper & garlic salt.
- Bring to a roaring boil and allow to continue to boil @ med-high heat until potatoes are soft, approx 25 min, stirring frquently.
- Once potatoes have softened; simmer on low heat and add both cans of evaporated milk w/Vit D and tarragon, stirring frequently.
- Add cornstarch/water mixture to thicken.
This was VERY good! We had this for supper tonight. I added some green onion for color and some cream towards the end, because my SO was late for dinner (to thin it out). You didn't state in your directions on where to add the medium onion... so, I diced it and sauteed, then added to the potato, seasonings and water. On the side, I served garlic bread and Saltines. Thank you for a warming meal. This was made for Spring PAC 2010.
I did cut this recipe in half & then shared it with a neighbor couple, however, I did use the full measure of diced ham! Also used lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, & all agreed that this is A GREAT TASTING POTATO SOUP! Thanks, much for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef]