Recipe by NorthwestGal
This is a recipe for a cheese spread that is common throughout the South, which many versions for this recipe can be found. They're all good on grilled cheese sandwiches, as a cracker spread, or served with fried green tomatoes. I found this recipe on the Allrecipes website (posted by QueenReyney), and I added the most repeated changes that reviewers stated made the spread even better.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
I have been craving pimento cheese and this dish really hit the spot. DH is loving it and he can't wait for lunch. I added a little more cheese, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. This is a great recipe -- easy to make and sooo good. Made for the Culinary Quest - U. S. Southern Region, August, 2014.
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (medium is too mild for this recipe)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 -2 drop Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, minced jalapeno, pimento, dry mustard and Worcestershire into the large bowl of a mixer. Beat at medium speed, with paddle if possible, until thoroughly combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use on grilled cheese sandwiches, as a cracker spread, or alongside Fried Green Tomatoes.