My grandmother was the best cook I've known. This is the way she made a pecan pie filling. Prep. time does not include the 30-45 minutes needed to cool the filling.
- Mix all ingredients and cook in double boiler for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes for the first 20 minutes, then stirring every 3-5 minutes,or until thickened.
- While mixture cools, prepare topping.
- For Topping: Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add brown sugar and mix well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour cooled filling into baked pie shell.
- Cover with topping and bake in 325 degree oven until light brown or about 15 minutes.