Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just like grandma used to make!
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook until mixture registers 234 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool to lukewarm (110 degrees F).
- Then beat mixture until it loses its glossiness and becomes stiff.
- Add butter, vanilla, salt and nuts.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a buttered pan about 1/2 inch deep.
- When cool, cut into squares.
This is a good old recipe. I have the same one in my United States Regional Cooking cookbook, 1947.