Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very good crusted chicken!! and quick too. When I don't have sour cream around I have used yogurt instead, it works well.
- 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (keens)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream (I use no fat sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- In food processor, finely chop pecans, cornstarch, thyme, salt cayenne and dry mustard.
- Whirl in parsley.
- Transfer to shallow bowl;set aside.
- In separate shallow bowl, beat egg.
- Dip each chicken breast into egg, then into pecan mixture, coating both sides well.
- (Make ahead: transfer to platter and cover loosley with plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 2 hours.) In large nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together sour cream, Dijon mustard, sugar and salt.
- Serve with chicken.
Excellent mock "fried chicken" recipe. We loved the crispy texture and the kick of the cayenne. I would suggest doubling the pecan mixture because this was only enough for 2 chicken breasts to be thoroughly covered. Due to my stepson's possible nut allergy, I made him a separate batch substituting saltines for the pecans and omitting the parsley--it was also yummy! And he loved the dipping sauce, which proves it's a real kid pleaser. I served the chicken with Tebo's deviled green beans and buttermilk cornbread. Thanks for this delicious recipe.
My DS and I really loved this recipe, but it wasn't quite such a big hit with the rest of my family. They didn't like the dipping sauce. I had to use plain yogurt because DH doesn't like sour cream. When I make this again, I'll make the mustard sauce for me and DS...then another sauce for the rest of the family.
Outstanding recipe, Derf! I didn't watch it carefully and it cooked faster than I expected. Delicious sauce with the yummy tender chicken. Made for Derf's Recovery Cook-a-Thon!