Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Some folks here in Virginia consider this a traditional Thanksgiving Day pie, but I eat it all year round. (grin)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- To prepare the Custard:.
- Scald 1 1/2 cups of the milk in double-boiler.
- Combine sugar, salt, cornstarch in mixing bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup milk to that mixture; pour into scalded milk.
- Cook (stirring) until thick.
- Slightly beat egg yolks.
- Add a little of the hot mixture to the egg yolks first then add the yolks to the custard mixture and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Custard should be pretty thick.
- Chill well.
- To prepare Peanut Butter Crumbs:.
- Mix together confectioner's sugar and peanut butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle half (better if a little under half than over) of the crumb mixture in bottom of baked pie crust.
- Add chilled custard, top with whipped cream and remainder of peanut butter crumbs.