Recipe by PCrocker
This is a very rich pie with a peanut butter pudding filling and a meringue topping. Sometimes I use whipped cream instead of the meringue. This pie is as southern as it gets.
- 1 baked pie crust
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 3 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cornstarch, yolks, salt, butter, and brown sugar together in medium saucepan; whisk in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and peanut butter.
- Pour into crust and cover with whipped cream or meringue.
- Store in refrigerator.
- In mixer bowl beat egg whites and cream of tarter until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Spread over peanut butter filling.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes until meringue is evenly golden brown.
- Cool before serving.