Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very rich pie with a peanut butter pudding filling and a meringue topping. Sometimes I use whipped cream instead of the meringue. This pie is as southern as it gets.
- Mix cornstarch, yolks, salt, butter, and brown sugar together in medium saucepan; whisk in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and peanut butter.
- Pour into crust and cover with whipped cream or meringue.
- Store in refrigerator.
- In mixer bowl beat egg whites and cream of tarter until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Spread over peanut butter filling.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes until meringue is evenly golden brown.
- Cool before serving.
This pie is very rich and has avery strong peanut butter taste. Almost like eating fluffy peanut butter out f the jar. Not exactly what I was hoping for.
Absolutely wonderful! The filling was enough to fill the pie shell and had a generous amount of meringue. Perfect! This goes into my tried and approved and onto my meal calendar as a repeating entry. I have been looking for this recipe for a very long time. Thank you for submitting this one!
Pie was good! It did'nt set up as well as I had hoped. The taste was yummy, but a bit too creamy without a distinct peanut butter taste and texture. I'll try again. Thanks for sharing with us.