Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is AWESOME!! What an absolutely divine summer treat. Try serving with vanilla ice cream...ooohhh la la!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 lbs peaches
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in chopped pecans. Separately, whisk egg with milk.
- Add milk and egg mixture to dry mixture; stir with a fork until blended.
- Turn two round cake pans upside-down and grease bottoms.
- Spread half the dough on each bottom to within about 1/2-inch of edge.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Peel, slice and sweeten peaches with about 1 1/2 cups sugar or to taste.
- In a small bowl, whip cream with flavoring until stiff.
- Place one shortcake on a plate, top with about half of the peaches and whipped cream.
- Top with second shortcake and remaining peaches and whipped cream.