Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
TASTY SIDE DISH!!! You will see this dish in southern cafes including Paula Deens! The bacon bits give it much flavor. You may also use fresh tomatoes and okra out of the garden. Some cooks like to serve over rice.
- 6 slices bacon, reserve drippings
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen okra, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) canpetit diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Fry bacon and reserve 3 tablespoons of drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix okra, tomatoes with juice, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Gently bring to a boil and turn heat down to slow simmer. Cover with lid and simmer for approximately 30 to 40 minutes until tender. Do not stir okra because it easily falls apart.
- Pour into a serving bowl and add crumbled bacon on top.
- Note: If using fresh okra, wash okra and cut off ends. Cut into 1 inch pieces. For fresh tomatoes, wash and core tomatoes. Cut into small pieces.
We really enjoyed this! This is the first time I've ever cooked okra. Tons growing in our garden. My whole family liked it. simple but delish! My only change was, I added fresh garden corn. Thanks for sharing! :)