1/3 Photos of Southern Okra and Tomatoes With Bits of Bacon
Seasoned Cook's Note:
TASTY SIDE DISH!!! You will see this dish in southern cafes including Paula Deens! The bacon bits give it much flavor. You may also use fresh tomatoes and okra out of the garden. Some cooks like to serve over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry bacon and reserve 3 tablespoons of drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan, mix okra, tomatoes with juice, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Gently bring to a boil and turn heat down to slow simmer. Cover with lid and simmer for approximately 30 to 40 minutes until tender. Do not stir okra because it easily falls apart.
- 3Pour into a serving bowl and add crumbled bacon on top.
- 4Note: If using fresh okra, wash okra and cut off ends. Cut into 1 inch pieces. For fresh tomatoes, wash and core tomatoes. Cut into small pieces.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Okra and Tomatoes With Bits of Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 722.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g