Southern Okra and Tomato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the juice from the tomatoes; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir the onion and garlic in the 1 tablespoon of butter until tender. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes, the okra, sugar, basil, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture, then add it to the vegetable mixture. Cook and stur until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Dot with the 2 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Sprinkle with the stuffing mix and the cheese. Return to the oven; bake about 5 minutes more or until stuffing mix and cheese are golden brown.