Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Okra and tomatoes and cornbread, how much more southern can you get?
Make and share this Southern Okra and Tomato Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the juice from the tomatoes; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir the onion and garlic in the 1 tablespoon of butter until tender. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes, the okra, sugar, basil, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture, then add it to the vegetable mixture. Cook and stur until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Dot with the 2 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Sprinkle with the stuffing mix and the cheese. Return to the oven; bake about 5 minutes more or until stuffing mix and cheese are golden brown.