Motley Oklahoman's Note:
Okra and tomatoes and cornbread, how much more southern can you get?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the juice from the tomatoes; set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan, cook and stir the onion and garlic in the 1 tablespoon of butter until tender. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes, the okra, sugar, basil, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper.
- 4Stir the cornstarch mixture, then add it to the vegetable mixture. Cook and stur until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- 5Pour the vegetable mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Dot with the 2 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove the casserole from the oven. Sprinkle with the stuffing mix and the cheese. Return to the oven; bake about 5 minutes more or until stuffing mix and cheese are golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Okra and Tomato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.3
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 22.5 mg
- Sodium 119.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cornbread stuffing mix