3 hrs 20 mins
This wonderfully healthy collards and black-eyed pea soup by Sarah Cooper is a natural for New Year's Day. It started as a Cuban-style collards soup that included bacon fat, short ribs, Cuban sausage and ham hocks. Eventually Ms. Cooper decided to "de-fat" and change some of the ingredients to typical southern ones. The results are both aromatic and hearty, perfect on a cold day. To shorten prep and cooking time, you can use canned black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed and added towards the end of cooking time. Note: the recipe does not include soaking time for the dried peas. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 lb cubed ham
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 24 ounces fresh collard greens, tough stems removed & roughly chopped
- frozen collard greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- salsa (chow-chow is good, too)
- 1Wash and pick over the dried beans. Cover with 2 inches of water and allow the beans to soak overnight.
- 2In a stock pot, combine 2 quarts water, ham, beef, bay leaves and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3Rinse the soaked beans and add them to the pot. Cook, uncovered, until tender, about 1 hour. Add the potatoes and collards and boil for 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the vegetables to the soup pot. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. Salt to taste.
- 5Optionally top each serving with a garnish of a spoonful of salsa or chow-chow.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern New Year's Day Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.7
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 586.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 13.1 g