Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an easy, no-egg eggnog and a classic Southern tipple with an alluring blend of sweetness and richness, and a deep-flavored kick. Classically made with a combo of brandy and rum, the milk punch also works well with bourbon in the place of either or both. And while it's lovely to drink the punch when poured into a glass full of crushed ice, you can instead serve it hot, for a rich and potent warmer. Either way, this drink that dates back to horse-and-buggy days has a way of slowing everything down, taking the edge off a hectic holiday season if only for an hour or two. Recommended by Paul Clarke of Imbibe magazine.
- 1 ounce brandy (or bourbon)
- 1 ounce dark rum (or bourbon)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 dashes vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 -6 ounces whole milk, to taste
- Stir well with ice and strain into a large goblet over fresh crushed ice .
- (Or, pour everything into a mug and add hot milk).
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.