This recipe was given to me by my niece who resides in South Carolina. It is different than Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipes. I use this as a side dish to baked or fried chicken, baked pork chops, kielbasa, or just about anything. It is an alternate to having the traditional potatoes at most meals. You will find this recipe is quick to put together and calls for a minimal number of ingredients. Leftovers can be reheated in a microwave.
- Cook macaroni in salted water until almost done.
- Beat egg and flour with fork until there are no lumps.
- Beat in milk and salt.
- In a greased 2 quart shallow casserole dish, layer the macaroni, cheese, another layer of macaroni, and a final layer of cheese.
- Pour the milk mixture over the top of layered ingredients.
- Bake uncovered 45 to 55 minutes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- This last step is important to let the pie set-up.