Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was given to me by my niece who resides in South Carolina. It is different than Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipes. I use this as a side dish to baked or fried chicken, baked pork chops, kielbasa, or just about anything. It is an alternate to having the traditional potatoes at most meals. You will find this recipe is quick to put together and calls for a minimal number of ingredients. Leftovers can be reheated in a microwave.
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni (about 2 cups dry)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 12 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni in salted water until almost done.
- Beat egg and flour with fork until there are no lumps.
- Beat in milk and salt.
- In a greased 2 quart shallow casserole dish, layer the macaroni, cheese, another layer of macaroni, and a final layer of cheese.
- Pour the milk mixture over the top of layered ingredients.
- Bake uncovered 45 to 55 minutes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- This last step is important to let the pie set-up.
I made this as part of mine and SO's dinner on 1/21/10. Except for changing the cheese, this recipe was made as it was written. For the cheese, a blend of white and yellow chedders were used. After putting on the final layer of cheese, a bit of pepper was sprinkle over the top. This dish was baked for 45 minutes and rested for 15 minutes. After baking and " resting ", it seemed like the egg/ milk mixture looked a bit on the "curdled " side. I thought it was just " o.k. ", but my SO seemed to really enjoy it. So, for that I give this a 4 star rating. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
This was good!! It was easy to make. I Haven't had a lot of luck with baked mac and cheese, but this came out fine. I think it could have used just a little bit more milk to make it a little bit creamier. I will use this recipe again when I want mac and cheese. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Spring '08
This macaroni was very simple to prepare! I do think that it could have used a bit more cheese, or maybe a creamier cheese, like muenster. Overall, this was a good side dish mac n cheese!