Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
A recipe I gladly received from my husband's grandmother. True comfort food!
Top Review by Terry X.
My dad taught me an old secret to baked mac n cheese. To help solidify the milk in the casserole when it is baking, beat one or two eggs into the milk before adding to the casserole. Bake as per the recipe. Awesome. Also, the secret to fantastic mac n cheese is in the "taste" of the mac n x cheese. The taste depends on the ingredients you use (butter, cheese etc.) Don't just use any old cheese or butter. Use your favorite brands. I've done this for decades and everyone LOVES my baked mac n cheese casseroles. It makes a world of difference in the taste.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- saltine crackers or cheese crackers, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a flat bottomed casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Put half of the macaroni in the dish, top with half of the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix the melted butter and enough crushed saltines to absorb the butter, together.
- Spread on top of cheese layer.
- Pour milk slowly over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until milk is no longer liquid.
- Let set for at least 10 minutes before serving.