Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe I gladly received from my husband's grandmother. True comfort food!
Make and share this Southern Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Spray a flat bottomed casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Put half of the macaroni in the dish, top with half of the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix the melted butter and enough crushed saltines to absorb the butter, together.
- Spread on top of cheese layer.
- Pour milk slowly over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until milk is no longer liquid.
- Let set for at least 10 minutes before serving.
This is the recipe that my Mother used to make M&C. I remember she used saltine crackers and good New York Red Rind Cheddar Cheese. It was so delicious. Of course, there was no vegetable spray at the time, so she would butter the bottom of the baking dish.
Made it as a Thanksgiving side dish and my husband loved it. The crust is what makes this recipe stand out. He says it reminds him of the mac and cheese his mom made him as a boy. The kids are more of a soft,creamy, and cheesy type of mac so next time I'll add a more creamy cheese like Velveeta maybe. We'll see.
I used whole-wheat pasta, (colby cheese), whole-wheat breadcrumbs instead of crackers, and reconstituted dry milk. Heavily modified and it still turned out fantastic! Thanks for sharing a great recipe.