Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From The Southern Living Cookbook, 1987 Edition. Turn chops and stir gravy well several times while simmering for a no-fail result. A southern classic.
- 4 -6 pork chops (1/2-inch thick)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Trim excess fat from pork chops.
- Sprinkle pork chops lightly with salt and pepper.
- Brown chops on both sides in hot oil, and drain on paper towels.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Add flour to skillet, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in seasoning sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add pork chops to gravy; cover and simmer 45 minutes, turning chops occasionally.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings.