Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is absolutely 100 percent Southern cooking at its best!
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
- 38 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups peanut oil
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks.
- Set aside.
- combinecracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.
- whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs.
- Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
- POUR oil into a 12-inch skillet;heat to 360 degrees.
- Do not use a nonstick skillet.
- I like to use a cast iron skillet for this.
- Fry steaks 10 minutes.
- Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan.
- Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven.
- Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- whisk together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk.
- Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
This is the best recipe for country fried steak. The only thing I do different is I use my electric fry pan and a lot less oil. I also halve the gravy. Thank You for posting.
Good meat! I did something wrong and the gravy was bad- burned flavor. I may have had the heat too high in the pan when frying. I accidentally added crushed red pepper to the breading so I just added ground red pepper, too and it was fine. I'll try this again with a thermometer because of the gravy issue.
I liked it a lot and so did my family, BUT I am one for a lot of flavor and the gravy was BLAND so I think I will try to make my gravy with spicy sausage to give it a kick. But other than that it was delightful! :) and the dish was easy to make.... Thank you!