Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been my pinto bean recipe for the past many, many years. Tried and true! Time does not include soaking for dried beans.
- 1 lb fresh dry pinto beans, sorted and rinsed*
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 dash red hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven, and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Add ham hock, tomatoes, broth, and next 10 ingredients to Dutch oven with beans; cook 55 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Serve over rice with Southwestern Cornbread(no sugar)in a cast iron skillet.
- *Dried pinto beans may be substituted for fresh; however, wash and sort beans; then soak overnight in water to cover.
I am trying this recipe today as the ingredients sound delicious and are sure to make a flavorful pot of beans. Being a southern girl I am always on the lookout for other cook's take on pinto's. I'd like to add that it is very important to soak your beans. Yes, they will usually cook up nicely if you don't... however, the reason for soaking is to break down the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors in them which interferes with the absorption of the nutrients in the beans. It is best to soak them in whey or fresh squeezed lemon juice. For every 2-6 cups of dried beans add 2 tablespoons of whey or fresh lemon juice. Soak for 12-24 hours (longer is better) and rinse the beans before cooking. I'll let you know how my beans turned out!
This is tooooooooooo good. My mom and I wanted a recipe to use the hambone after Xmas ham and I found this recipe! It's totally best when you cook it down to look like canned baked bean texture with the sauce and stuff. Made twice in the crock pot and am making again today!
Loved this recipe, so good :)