Recipe by Shabby Sign Shoppe
Makes one great wedding cake or if cut into a third makes 18 fabulous cupcakes baked for 20 minutes @ same temperture. Frost with favorite frosting.
- 2 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 9 large eggs, separated
- 6 3⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour 1 (12-inch), 1 (9-inch), and 1 (6-inch) round cakepan; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon 2 cups batter into 6-inch pan, 4 cups batter into 9-inch pan, and remaining batter into 12-inch pan.
- Bake at 325° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Wrap layers in plastic wrap to prevent drying; chill.
- NOTE: Layers may be wrapped in aluminum foil and frozen for up to 1 month. Unwrap and thaw at room temperature about 2 hours.
- Makes 1 (12-inch) layer, 1 (9-inch) layer, and 1 (6-inch) layer. Frost as desired. Add a fruit cream inbetween for added BAM!