1 hr 5 mins
Shabby Sign Shoppe's Note:
Makes one great wedding cake or if cut into a third makes 18 fabulous cupcakes baked for 20 minutes @ same temperture. Frost with favorite frosting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour 1 (12-inch), 1 (9-inch), and 1 (6-inch) round cakepan; set aside.
- 2Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- 4Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon 2 cups batter into 6-inch pan, 4 cups batter into 9-inch pan, and remaining batter into 12-inch pan.
- 5Bake at 325° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- 6Wrap layers in plastic wrap to prevent drying; chill.
- 7NOTE: Layers may be wrapped in aluminum foil and frozen for up to 1 month. Unwrap and thaw at room temperature about 2 hours.
- 8Makes 1 (12-inch) layer, 1 (9-inch) layer, and 1 (6-inch) layer. Frost as desired. Add a fruit cream inbetween for added BAM!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Living Old Fashioned Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.0
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 102.6 mg
- Sodium 259.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 5.1 g