Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't let this title scare you. This recipe comes from the Southern Living magazine, and not live crawfish in cornbread from down south. Posted for ZWT5.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 lb frozen crawfish tail, thawed, drained and peeled
- Preheat oven to 400º. Heat a 12-inch (1 1/2-inch deep) cast-iron skillet in oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in jalapenos.
- Stir together milk, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in corn, cheese, onion mixture, and chopped green onion.
- Stir together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients just until blended. Stir in milk mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in crawfish. Pour into hot cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Note: To make cornbread in a baking dish, prepare recipe as directed, beginning with step 2. Pour batter into a well-greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Proceed with recipe as directed, increasing bake time to 50 minutes.
- Shrimp Cornbread: Substitute 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped.