Recipe by TxGriffLover
Don't let this title scare you. This recipe comes from the Southern Living magazine, and not live crawfish in cornbread from down south. Posted for ZWT5.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 lb frozen crawfish tail, thawed, drained and peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400º. Heat a 12-inch (1 1/2-inch deep) cast-iron skillet in oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in jalapenos.
- Stir together milk, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in corn, cheese, onion mixture, and chopped green onion.
- Stir together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients just until blended. Stir in milk mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in crawfish. Pour into hot cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Note: To make cornbread in a baking dish, prepare recipe as directed, beginning with step 2. Pour batter into a well-greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Proceed with recipe as directed, increasing bake time to 50 minutes.
- Shrimp Cornbread: Substitute 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped.