Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is such a heavenly cake!! I got it from a friend's Southern Living cookbook. It is a challenge dealing with the coconut, but well worth the effort!!!
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coconut milk
- 2 -3 cups fresh coconut, shredded
For the Frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large marshmallows, cut into pieces
- Remove liquid from coconut and reserve.
- Remove the"meat" of the coconut and shred.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 2 cups of sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Stir in flavorings and pour into 3 greased and floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks.
- Make frosting: Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan.
- cook over medium heat stirring, constantly until mixture is clear.
- Cook without stirring until syrup reaches the soft-ball stage or a candy thermometer reaches 240°F.
- while syrup cooks beat egg whites at low speed with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt; beat at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Increase to high speed and add hot syrup in a heavy stream.
- Add marshmallows, a few pieces at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form and frosting is thick enough to spread.
- Combine 2 tbsp sugar and coconut milk.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Brush one cake layer with half of the coconut milk"syrup" leaving 1/2" margin around the edges.
- Spread with 1/2 cup boiled frosting and sprinkle with1/2 cup of shredded coconut-- repeat with each layer.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Cover and chill.
i thought this was a flavorful, moist cake and i really liked the marshmallow frosting. i had just a few problems: my cake stuck to the pans (all 3 layers) and they were hard to remove. i'm not sure why, as i had greased and floured my pans pretty well and left them in pans to cool as the recipe stated. the instructions say to add cream of tarter to the frosting, but the recipe didn't state how much. i guessed at 1/4 tsp. not sure if that was right. also, i found the frosting just a little salty, will probably cut back next time. i also wasn't sure how much of the coconut milk syrup i was supposed to put on each layer. i only ended up using half and i wasn't sure if that was right. i will probably make again, with just a few changes. thanks for posting!
This is the BEST cake EVER!!!! I had this recipe a long time ago, but misplaced it. Thanks SOOOOO very much