1/5 Photos of Southern Living Basic Yellow Cake Recipe ( or Chocolate)
I found this is an older Southern Living cookbook- "Heritage Cakes" . This is a basic yellow cake that yields 2 layers. The recipe is as found: my only changes have been direction clarifications. For Chocolate Cake: Add 3 ( 1 oz.) squares of unsweetened choclate, melted in a double boiler, to the creamed mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Cream butter then gradually add sugar, beating well .
- 22. Add eggs, beating well after each addition: this mix should be fluffy yellow.
- 33. In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder: The add mix to the creamed mixture ( above) alternating with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mix. Mix well.
- 44. Stir in vanilla.
- 55. Pour batter into 2 greased/floured 9" pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.
- 66. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove layers from pans and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Living Basic Yellow Cake Recipe ( or Chocolate)
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.1
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 136.0 mg
- Sodium 186.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 50.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g