Recipe by Miss Annie
This recipe is from the August 2003 edition of Southern Living, found in reply to a request.
Top Review by newspapergal
So easy & cheesy, with a great flavor. I followed the recipe exactly, using whole wheat noodles and doubling the hot sauce. I also used half mild and half sharp cheddar cheese. The onions, when sauteed and then baked, develop a very mellow, perfect flavor. I mixed this all together and then refrigerated half a day before baking, so added a few minutes to the baking time. DH raved & raved about this - I will definitely make it again. I served it with Meat Loaf Barbecue Style, salads and Southern Green Beans. Thanks!
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, mild,shredded and divided
- 3 cups macaroni, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3/4 cup saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, cooking and stirring for approximately 2 minutes.
- Whisk in soup, milk, hot sauce and 1/2 cheddar cheese.
- Stir just until cheese melts.
- Stir in macaroni, and pour into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese, and bake@ 375ºF.
- for 30-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.