Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from the August 2003 edition of Southern Living, found in reply to a request.
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, mild,shredded and divided
- 3 cups macaroni, cooked
- In a 3/4 cup saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, cooking and stirring for approximately 2 minutes.
- Whisk in soup, milk, hot sauce and 1/2 cheddar cheese.
- Stir just until cheese melts.
- Stir in macaroni, and pour into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese, and bake@ 375ºF.
- for 30-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
So easy & cheesy, with a great flavor. I followed the recipe exactly, using whole wheat noodles and doubling the hot sauce. I also used half mild and half sharp cheddar cheese. The onions, when sauteed and then baked, develop a very mellow, perfect flavor. I mixed this all together and then refrigerated half a day before baking, so added a few minutes to the baking time. DH raved & raved about this - I will definitely make it again. I served it with Meat Loaf Barbecue Style, salads and Southern Green Beans. Thanks!
Really good! would maybe use a little less pasta next time I like it a little more saucy, and would probably add more hot sauce it went so well in the cheese sauce. Very yummy. Added bread crumbs to the top before baking. Thank you for the recipe!
This was delicious! Everyone at Thanksgiving loved it. I used half cheddar and half gouda cheese.