- 2 whole eggs, separated
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 22.18 ml all-purpose yellow cornmeal (can use white)
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- 59.14 ml butter (not margarine)
- 1 9 inch pie shell (not deep dish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together sugar, cornmeal, lemon juice, butter and egg yolks for 5 minutes or more until creamy.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into this lemon mixture.
- Gently pour filling into pie crust.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until top of pie begins to brown.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or more until pie is just set in the middle.
- It should be a little jiggly, not runny, in the middle.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- It can be refrigerated, but is best served at room temperature.
- Covered, this pie will keep unrefrigerated for up to 4 days; however, it won't last that long!