Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Mother's recipe for my Dad's favorite pie! It's a lemon lover's dream. I often make these for Holiday gifts or potluck suppers.
- 2 whole eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose yellow cornmeal (can use white)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter (not margarine)
- 1 9 inch pie shell (not deep dish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together sugar, cornmeal, lemon juice, butter and egg yolks for 5 minutes or more until creamy.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into this lemon mixture.
- Gently pour filling into pie crust.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until top of pie begins to brown.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or more until pie is just set in the middle.
- It should be a little jiggly, not runny, in the middle.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- It can be refrigerated, but is best served at room temperature.
- Covered, this pie will keep unrefrigerated for up to 4 days; however, it won't last that long!
I substituted Splenda for the sugar and this was still really yummy. Very tart, just awesome.
This was fabulous!!! lemon pies are my favorite, and this has just jumped to the top of my list..Like you said, this pie won't last long...Chris ate 2 pieces and still wanted more!! So easy to make, too...couldn't ask for more..delicious, simple, and just wonderful..will be making this alot!! Teresa
FABULOUS! And I normally don't even like lemon pie. This recipe is fantastic and easy to make. My husband took one piece and went for seconds! I used Meyer lemons, which are a cross between lemons and mandarins... yummy! I added a bit more lemon juice than the recipe called for and it was just perfect because Meyer lemons are a bit less tart than regular lemons. I will make this again and again. Thank you for posting this great recipe!