1/1 Photo of Southern Lemon Chess Pie
1 hr 15 mins
Mother's recipe for my Dad's favorite pie! It's a lemon lover's dream. I often make these for Holiday gifts or potluck suppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In large bowl, cream together sugar, cornmeal, lemon juice, butter and egg yolks for 5 minutes or more until creamy.
- 5Gently fold beaten egg whites into this lemon mixture.
- 6Gently pour filling into pie crust.
- 7Bake about 15 minutes or until top of pie begins to brown.
- 8Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or more until pie is just set in the middle.
- 9It should be a little jiggly, not runny, in the middle.
- 10Remove from oven and cool.
- 11It can be refrigerated, but is best served at room temperature.
- 12Covered, this pie will keep unrefrigerated for up to 4 days; however, it won't last that long!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Lemon Chess Pie
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.9
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 56.1 mg
- Sodium 156.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g