This cake was published in the very first edition of the magazine "Southern Lady". It was created as a tribute to the magazine by a lady in Atlanta known as the "Cake Lady". She is truly talented! This is my most favorite cake and the one that's most often requested at my house. I have been making this cake for years and I follow the recipe exactly as it's written. I have never in all those years had this cake turn out soggy. True, it is a MOIST cake, but if made as written, should not be soggy.
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan.
- Combine the cake mix, sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream, the oil and orange extract.
- Mix at low speed with a mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the mandarin oranges and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Combine the orange juice and confectioners sugar well.
- Drizzle over the cake.