Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This cake was published in the very first edition of the magazine "Southern Lady". It was created as a tribute to the magazine by a lady in Atlanta known as the "Cake Lady". She is truly talented! This is my most favorite cake and the one that's most often requested at my house. I have been making this cake for years and I follow the recipe exactly as it's written. I have never in all those years had this cake turn out soggy. True, it is a MOIST cake, but if made as written, should not be soggy.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces orange cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan.
- Combine the cake mix, sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream, the oil and orange extract.
- Mix at low speed with a mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the mandarin oranges and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Combine the orange juice and confectioners sugar well.
- Drizzle over the cake.
Fantastic cake!!!! I baked this a couple of days ago to have with Thanksgiving dinner today. It was great, moist and most yummy. Everyone here raved about it. Thanks for posting :o)
This was oh so moist and delicious. My hubby loves cakes like this; well the whole family loved it. Thanks for posting. Prepared for PAC fall '09.
I work with Dreamgoddess and she gave me this recipe a couple of years ago. It is my husbands all time favorite. Just a hint though. It is best after it sits for a couple of days. If you want to serve it on a Saturday, cook it on Thursday night. One of the best things about this cake is that it is made with a cake mix and goes together in just a few minutes. But don't tell anyone it is a mix, because they won't know if you don't tell!!!