1/3 Photos of Southern Jambalaya
Sue Lau's Note:
Stick to your ribs cooking, Cajun-style.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb cubed cooked ham
- 1Cook the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in two tbsp of the oil in a Dutch oven, about 3-4 minutes.
- 2Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove shrimp mixture and reserve.
- 4Add last tbsp oil to the pan along with the rice and cook over med-high heat about ten minutes, until the rice is a light brown, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- 5Stir in the broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, Tabasco, and the bay leaf.
- 6Heat mixture to a boil then cover, reduce hear and simmer, about 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 7Stir in the reserved shrimp and also the ham.
- 8Cover and cook until heated through.
- 9Remove bay leaf, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.6
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 166.2 mg
- Sodium 1028.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 35.7 g