These are SERIOUSLY addictive! I learned these from a woman from Calabria Italy. She is an amazing cook! So worth all the work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Juice 1 lemon into large bowl filled with cold water. Add remnant lemon also.
- 2Set bowl of water next to prep area.
- 3Juice 1 more lemon set juice aside.
- 4Take each artichoke and remove top few layers of dark green leaves exsposing slightly lighter more tender leaves underneath.
- 5Snap off artichoke long stems.
- 6With kitchen shears cut up 1/2 inch of the top of artichoke. Add to lemon water, otherwise they will darken.
- 7Boil enough water to cover artichokes with second lemon juice.
- 8Once boiling add artichokes for 10 minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 10Strain and pat dry.
- 11In metal pot, large enough to hold artichokes SNUGGLY heat 1 tblsp oil and 4 cloves of mashed garlic over low to medium heat, allow to become tender.
- 12Set artichokes stem side down into pot, make sure they are snug.
- 13Add enough olive oil to reach halfway up artichokes.
- 14Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes. ( Leaves should pull away fairly easily when done).
- 15Once cooked discard most of oil, leave enough to toss to coat and season generously with pepper and salt add 1 handful 1/2 cup of italian bread crumbs.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Italian Baby Artichokes.
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.4
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 429.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 9.9 g