1/1 Photo of Southern Indian Rice and Seafood Soup
This recipe is by Jamie Oliver. It's easy to make, taking only about 30 minutes. You can use your choice of fish or shrimp (or a combination!). Firm fish works best, such as cod, haddock, etc. Have fun with it and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons vegetables (can even use coconut oil) or 5 tablespoons sunflower oil (can even use coconut oil)
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown mustard seeds (depending on how much you like)
- fresh curry leaf, picked off the stalks
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 red chilies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 pieces fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 22 ounces fish, skinned, filleted and cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 limes, juice of
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated coconut (optional)
- 1In a large pan, heat up the oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds, garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric. Cook for a few minutes.
- 2Add the chillies, ginger, garlic and onions. Continue cooking slowly until the garlic and onions are soft.
- 3Then add the rice and water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Add the fish and coconut milk with a pinch of salt. Put the lid on the pan and simmer for another 10 minutes, then stir well to break up the pieces of fish. Taste and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 5Just before serving, squeeze in the lime juice ans stir in half the cilantro. Serve in warmed bowls, sprinkle some freshly grated coconut (opt) and garnish with the rest of the cilantro.
Browse Our Top Indian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Indian Rice and Seafood Soup
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 806.1
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 32.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 104.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 111.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: