Recipe by Krystal Shankle
This is my mother's recipe. She made this my whole life. It's wonderful. My daddy used to always say he ate it in the army but they use to call it something a little different. When I got a little older I found out it was called "sh.. on a shingle". I'm sure you've all heard of this before. Anyways it made me laugh, still does. I hope you enjoy this.
Top Review by chef FIFI
I never have luck with southern gravy, but this time was the charm. My mom loves southern gravy, she gave me thumbs up on this one, and not every gravy fits the bell with her. I did add a bit more oil and used turkey sausage. I added a bit more flour and a little less milk (on accident). It came out fine. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄4 lb favorite breakfast sausage (about 3 slices)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (as much as you like)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry sausage until golden brown.
- Add bacon grease, then flour to the grease and cooked sausage.
- Stir until blended.
- Cook until raw flavor of the flour cooks out (about 2 or 3 minutes, not too brown though).
- Now add your milk.
- Stir constantly until desired thickness.
- Serve over your favorite biscuits.