Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my mother's recipe. She made this my whole life. It's wonderful. My daddy used to always say he ate it in the army but they use to call it something a little different. When I got a little older I found out it was called "sh.. on a shingle". I'm sure you've all heard of this before. Anyways it made me laugh, still does. I hope you enjoy this.
- 1⁄4 lb favorite breakfast sausage (about 3 slices)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (as much as you like)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Fry sausage until golden brown.
- Add bacon grease, then flour to the grease and cooked sausage.
- Stir until blended.
- Cook until raw flavor of the flour cooks out (about 2 or 3 minutes, not too brown though).
- Now add your milk.
- Stir constantly until desired thickness.
- Serve over your favorite biscuits.
I never have luck with southern gravy, but this time was the charm. My mom loves southern gravy, she gave me thumbs up on this one, and not every gravy fits the bell with her. I did add a bit more oil and used turkey sausage. I added a bit more flour and a little less milk (on accident). It came out fine. Thanks for the recipe.
I made this for our dinner on 07/26/07 and I'm sorry it took so long for me to get around to rate it. Since we like alot of meat in our gravy,I used a 1/2 a pound of maple flavored sausage.I didn't have any bacon grease so I used the same amount of vegetable shortening and it worked out just fine.Served this with Recipe#161470 and Recipe#73033 and a couple of sliced strawberries as a garnish.All together it made a very good homestyle breakfast.This will be made again,thanks for posting."Keep Smiling :)"
This is a simple and delicious way to enjoy one of my favorites. I grew up with southern cream gravy, sausage and biscuits. I followed the directions using vegetable oil in place of the bacon grease. I may have used a little less than the teaspoon of salt. Delicious and comforting breakfast.