Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great holiday dish. From the Twentieth Century Club Cookbook, Gilmer, TX. Freezes well. Can be cooked in a roaster.
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread
- 2 cups finely crumbled biscuits (1 can, baked and cooled)
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup oleo or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups rich chicken broth (from boiling hen, more broth, for juicier texture)
- 1⁄4 lb crumbled saltine crackers
- 4 -5 lbs hen, cooked,boned,cut up
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- Mix together crumbled corn bread, crackers and biscuits.
- Heat 2 1/2 c.
- broth to boiling point.
- Pour into bread mixture.
- This should be mixed until ingredients blend together.
- Simmer onion and celery in oleo with remainder of broth until clear.
- Mix together eggs and soup.
- Add the onion-celery mix, egg mix, remaining broth.
- Add seasonings and green onions.
- The green onions add color.
- Mix well.
- Add additional broth until consistency you prefer for drier or juicier dressing.
- Pour into a greased 9X13X2 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F.
- until done- about 30-40 minutes.
- Dressing should be lightly browned.
- Serves 12 generously.