Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I first made this soup because I had a lot of ham left over from Easter. I wasn't that familiar with cooking with okra, but it was really delicious in this soup! We have this often during winter, and when I don't have any leftover ham I just buy a ham slice or purchased pre-diced ham pieces in the meat section.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water, with
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes or 3.5 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cubed lean cooked ham
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and green pepper. Cook and stir 6-7 minutes. Stir in parsley, water and bouillon cubes (or 3 1/2 cans of chicken broth). Bring to a boil.
- Add okra, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Add ham and heat soup thoroughly. Ladle over rice in soup bowls, if desired.