Prep 1 min
Cook 20 mins
I've been researching better ways to cook my grains. I scrapped everything I knew about how to cook grits and decided to try cooking them as if I were cooking Japonica rice. The result? The creamiest grits I've ever made. I will never make grits another way again.
- Put the grits, water, and some salt in a 3-quart saucepan.
- Put the saucepan over high heat until the grits start to boil, stirring frequently to avoid lumps.
- Put a lid on the saucepan to bring grits to a hard boil, stirring occasionally. This should take no longer than 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook grits, covered, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until grits begin to look mostly cooked (most liquid has boiled off).
- Reduce heat to low. Cook grits, covered, stirring occasionally, for another 5-10 minutes or until grits reach desired consistency.
- (Optional) Take the grits off the heat. Cut the butter into small cubes and put into saucepan with the cooked grits. Replace lid and let grits rest for 1 minute. Stir and serve hot.
I love the creamy texture! Perfect with a bit of white pepper added in.