Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family's favorite with seafood, especially with shrimp or crabcakes. It's great for brunch or a casual dinner party! Growing up, I never had grits, but I've grown to love them. :) Prep time does not include the 20 minutes needed to cook the grits.
- 473.18 ml cooked grits, hot (I use yellow grits)
- 158.51 ml skim milk
- 118.29 ml butter
- 354.88 ml egg substitute or 2 whole eggs
- 113.39 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 118.29 ml crisp bacon, crumbled (I use Oscar Meyer or Hormel real bacon bits)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x12x2-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place hot grits in large bowl.
- Add butter and stir to mix and let butter melt.
- Add liquid ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Pour into casserole.
- Place casserole in oven; place pan of water on shelf below casserole.
- This helps keep carrerole from drying out.
- Bake 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle casserole with cheese and then bacon.
- Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes until just set in the middle.
- Serve hot.
this was really delicious. i made grits in the microwave, otherwise i followed the recipe. i added black pepper and cayenne to the grits before i baked them and i used a whole pound of crumbled bacon- i really enjoyed every calorie
Yummy and super easy. I used real bacon on top. My West coast friends who had never had grits loved it!
Very tasty. I cooked exactly as directions stated and it was enjoyed by all. Next time (and there will be a next time) I think I will try mixing the cheese in with the grits. Just a personal preference, but we really enjoyed the cheese being on top also. Thanks for the recipe.