Hubby says these grits are fit for a Southern Tea Room. No higher compliment than that! It is not a mistake to use quick cooking grits, and cook them for almost half an hour. These grits have body!
- In a small pot, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed.
- Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of stiff cream of wheat.
- Stir in butter.
- Serve with additional butter on top of each portion, or serve with fruit or with a savory meal.