Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
These greens are cooked in the crockpot. Use meaty ham hocks or ham bone and serve with fresh baked corn bread, green onions and ice tea for a great southern meal.
- 2 bunches greens (collards, kale, mustard or turnip)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ham hocks
- 2 -3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- Tear the greens into large pieces, wash under running water to clean well, drain.
- Preheat a heavy skillet with olive oil, add sliced onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onions begin to lightly brown, add minced jalapeño peppers.
- Place the cooked onions in the bottom of the crockpot, add the drained greens,ham hock, crushed red pepper and water.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until greens are tender.
- Remove meat from bones, discarding bone and fat.
- Shred the meat and return to pot, mixing well; adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each serving of the greens with balsamic vinegar to taste.
These were FABULOUS! I loved them! They were perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned! I used Kale, Beet and Turnip greens. I love making greens in the crockpot - thank you for a wonderful recipe!