Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a side dish that you may see on the table instead of a Green Bean Casserole in Louisiana & other parts of the South. It's very simple to make & I enjoy serving it with any kind of roasted or grilled meat. Note: You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth and vegan by using vegetable oil instead of butter.
- 1 tablespoon butter (or bacon fat from 4 strips of bacon)
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved & thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 chicken bouillon cube plus 1 c. water)
- 1 lb new potato, washed & quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning, such as tony chachere's
- 1⁄2 lb green beans (fresh or frozen & snipped if fresh)
- In a saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid, melt butter or cook bacon on medium heat. Remove bacon when finished cooking (if you're are using it) and set it aside.
- Add sliced onion & minced garlic to butter or bacon fat. Saute until onions are clear. Be sure to stir often. If you are using bacon, scrape the bottom of the pan to get the bacon bits up and prevent burning.
- Add chicken broth & bring to a boil. Scrape the bottom of the pan again if you are using bacon to avoid a burnt flavor.
- Add quartered potatoes & creole seasoning. Place potatoes flesh side down & cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes. Do not uncover pan during this time.
- Stir potatoes after 15 minutes. Add green beans to the top of the pan. Gently push them down between potatoes but do not immerse them in the liquid. Cover with lid again & cook for 10 more minutes. (Note: If you are using frozen green beans, it may take 5 extra minutes to cook because of the decrease in temperature.).
- Chop cooked bacon & add to the top of your vegetables (if using bacon) & serve.
I just loved this dish - simple but so tasty! I did not use bacon, but stuck to butter. I also found I did not have chicken broth or bouillon, so I ended up using beef broth. Finally, I couldn't find new potatoes, so I used a combination of baby red potatoes and baby Yukon gold potatoes. They were a nice colorful addition. Finally, I used 12 oz. of green beans, which I cut into smaller pieces. Everything comes together so nicely in this dish - the onions, garlic and creole seasoning. I will definitely be making this again! Made for SPRING PAC 2013.