Cajun Kitchen's Note:
This is a side dish that you may see on the table instead of a Green Bean Casserole in Louisiana & other parts of the South. It's very simple to make & I enjoy serving it with any kind of roasted or grilled meat. Note: You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth and vegan by using vegetable oil instead of butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter (or bacon fat from 4 strips of bacon)
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved & thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 chicken bouillon cube plus 1 c. water)
- 1 lb new potato, washed & quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning, such as tony chachere's
- 1/2 lb green beans (fresh or frozen & snipped if fresh)
- 1In a saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid, melt butter or cook bacon on medium heat. Remove bacon when finished cooking (if you're are using it) and set it aside.
- 2Add sliced onion & minced garlic to butter or bacon fat. Saute until onions are clear. Be sure to stir often. If you are using bacon, scrape the bottom of the pan to get the bacon bits up and prevent burning.
- 3Add chicken broth & bring to a boil. Scrape the bottom of the pan again if you are using bacon to avoid a burnt flavor.
- 4Add quartered potatoes & creole seasoning. Place potatoes flesh side down & cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes. Do not uncover pan during this time.
- 5Stir potatoes after 15 minutes. Add green beans to the top of the pan. Gently push them down between potatoes but do not immerse them in the liquid. Cover with lid again & cook for 10 more minutes. (Note: If you are using frozen green beans, it may take 5 extra minutes to cook because of the decrease in temperature.).
- 6Chop cooked bacon & add to the top of your vegetables (if using bacon) & serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Green Beans & Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.1
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 222.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g