6 hrs 10 mins
Cookin In Texas's Note:
I thought I would share some of my favorites, These are some that I have to make quite often.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 2 quarts water, Added Only As Needed
- 1 tablespoon salt, This is estimated add to your taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, This is estimated add to your taste
- 1 boneless pork chops or 1 ham bone
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes, U can also use 1 whole dried red hot chili pepper instead and if you like em hot use more
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Start beans in morning.
- 2Wash beans and pick out any bad beans and toss away.
- 3Use a 4-6 quart crock pot.
- 4Pour washed beans into crock pot.
- 5Add water to about 1 inch over beans.
- 6Add butter,salt,hot pepper flakes and pork chop or ham bone.
- 7Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- 8Then turn cooker to low and cook the rest of the day stirring once in a while and adding water only if necessary.
- 9Do not add to much water at one time other wise your beans will turn out watery, you want a nice thick gravy with your beans.
- 10When done break up the pork chop or remove meat from ham bone Toss bone.
- 11If using a whole red hot dried chili pepper remove it now and toss away.(We don't want anyone accidentally biting into that now do we?).
- 12The beans will be tender in a thick gravy.
- 13If gravy is to thin move lid on crockpot so that one side is open to let steam escape, To thicken gravy.
- 14If gravy is to thick add 1/4 cup water at a time until it reaches the consistency you desire.
- 15Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 16Will take about 6-7 hours to cook.
- 17Serve with hot buttered cornbread and iced tea for a good southern rib sticking meal.
- 18I use this tea Southern Sweet Iced Tea Southern Sweet Tea.
- 19And I use this cornbread Sweet Cornbread Sweet Cornbread.
- 20But if you want a more southern corn bread try my #195163 Cracklin Cornbread recipe.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Great Northern Beans (Crock Pot Version)
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.8
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 723.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 7.7 g