Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I thought I would share some of my favorites, These are some that I have to make quite often.
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 2 quarts water, Added Only As Needed
- 1 tablespoon salt, This is estimated add to your taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, This is estimated add to your taste
- 1 boneless pork chops or 1 ham bone
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes, U can also use 1 whole dried red hot chili pepper instead and if you like em hot use more
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Start beans in morning.
- Wash beans and pick out any bad beans and toss away.
- Use a 4-6 quart crock pot.
- Pour washed beans into crock pot.
- Add water to about 1 inch over beans.
- Add butter,salt,hot pepper flakes and pork chop or ham bone.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Then turn cooker to low and cook the rest of the day stirring once in a while and adding water only if necessary.
- Do not add to much water at one time other wise your beans will turn out watery, you want a nice thick gravy with your beans.
- When done break up the pork chop or remove meat from ham bone Toss bone.
- If using a whole red hot dried chili pepper remove it now and toss away.(We don't want anyone accidentally biting into that now do we?).
- The beans will be tender in a thick gravy.
- If gravy is to thin move lid on crockpot so that one side is open to let steam escape, To thicken gravy.
- If gravy is to thick add 1/4 cup water at a time until it reaches the consistency you desire.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Will take about 6-7 hours to cook.
- Serve with hot buttered cornbread and iced tea for a good southern rib sticking meal.
- I use this tea recipe #63785 Southern Sweet Tea.
- And I use this cornbread recipe #116185 Sweet Cornbread.
- But if you want a more southern corn bread try my #195163 Cracklin Cornbread recipe.
Easy. Tasty. Simple substitions worked well.<br/><br/>I had a taste for beans and found your recipe. I had to sub bacon drippings for the pork/ham since I didn't have any onhand (and skipped the butter). I also used a mixture of chicken broth / water. <br/><br/>I've made several great northern bean recipes in the crock pot. All were a disappointment till this one.<br/><br/>Thanks!
I had some salt cured pork...super salt cured. I didn't put any extra salt in just what was in the ham. Turned out great. I did add some onion powder and white pepper instead of the pepper flakes. My hubby's not a big fan of pepper flakes.