Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a nice change of pace from usual brown sugar baked beans (not that there's anything wrong with them). Nice for cook outs and summer fun. Can be made ahead and heated through or serve cold. Try peach nectar in place of apple juice. I know, I know...Great Northern beans in a Southern bean recipe? Remember, it's only the name of the beans.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 peach
- 1 onion
- 6 -7 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 ounce Bourbon (the good stuff)
- 1⁄2 ounce apple juice
- 1 ounce molasses
- Cook bacon, drain and crumble.
- Clean and pit peach, dice.
- Dice onion.
- Add all ingredients to saucepan.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Garnish with more crumbled bacon or chopped green onions.
This recipe definitely calls out for using peach nectar instead of the apple juice, & who am I to ignore the call of a recipe, anyway! I did, however, leave out the bourbon, although, if the beans were cooked long enough, a peach liqueur would be a nice addition! Still, THESE BEANS TASTE GREAT! Thanks for sharing!
Will make this again.